Monday, August 2, 2010

Follow-up on transcoding HD-PVR .wtv files from Windows 7 MCE

After some more finagling, I finally found a setting that does the trick for me:

If you recall on the previous post, I mentioned that whenever I tried to transcode a .wtv file directly, the expression encoder GUI would not display an image preview. In addition to the lack of a preview (and thus, lack of editing), the resulting files would always have the sound out of sync.This led me in the direction of de-muxing the media using graphstudio, re-muxing into a .ts file, then using the .ts file as the source. This approach yielded bad results in expression studio. The resulting file would not have any sound, even though the imported .ts file would be detected as having a sound track, and it would play the sound track fine on VLC. The only workable setting I had was transcoding using handbrake. It did the job well, except that handbrake has no cutting capability.

I have Expression encoder 4 now set up to use the ffdshow decoders and the haali media splitter, and I disabled the AC3 filter. This conflagration proved to be the correct one for me. Not only can I see the video in the preview window, but I actually produce wmv files with WMA pro 5.1 channel surround! I'd say try installing MS Expression encoder 4, ffdshow and haali media splitter. That alone is probably enough to get the job done.

I must also mention that I wound up installing the HD-PVR bundled total media extreme during my testing, but no other filters or codecs show up on the expression encoder options, so I presume the installation has no effect in my success.

I still feel this approach is overkill for what I really want (rescale the video and mux into a different container), but it is a workable solution. I'll report if I find something better... :)

No comments: